Monday, December 29, 2008

Jodi jumps in -- head first

Today I really jumped into Limmud in a big way. I arrived with the group on Friday but spent my time settling in and taking it all in.  As other members of the Atlanta group have commented, Limmud is as much about the overall experience of being here and meeting people from all over the world as it is about the incredible variety of sessions.   But with jetlag finally behind me, I decided to take on Limmud and check out the range of subjects that are being covered on any given day. 

I was hardly disappointed. Looking back at what I learned today, it's almost a comical assembly of topics. Rather than comment on any of these individually, I'm just going to list them with a short description so you can see for yourself the absurd variety that one can experience at Limmud.

  • Pointless-a review of the mysterious Hebrew vowel sounds and what all those dots mean
  • How to Process Jesus' Virgin Birth Stories -- taught by a Reform Rabbi
  • Limmud International,  A Year in the Life of 20,000 People Worldwide
  • All Change in the USA -- a panel about the recent US election and what it means to the US Jewish community
  • Liturgical Music of Danny Maseng
  • Planning for the Multi-Cultural City: The Case of Jerusalem
  • Why Be Jewish-- taught by Shlomo Riskin
  • The Making of Good Intentions -- a documentary about the making of a prime time drama series on Israel's Channel 2 in which two women, one Israeli and one Palestinian, are recruited to co present a television cooking program
Phew! I'm exhausted!


No comments:

Post a Comment