Tuesday, December 30, 2008

It JUST keeps getting better and BETTER!!! -- Renee's Rashi

Really, I am just having so much fun here and have rarely enjoyed learning so much. Maybe I am really participating in a greater percentage of "edutainment" sessions, but so what? Where else can you see HILARIOUS comedian Deb Filler (from New Zealand and Toronto) play the Rolling Stones and Beatles on her guitar while singing the lyrics in Yiddish?? I'm going to try to bring her in for LimmudFest (Sept. 4-7 at Camp Ramah).

I also walked into what I wasn't sure might be a not-so-exciting diplomat session, and turned out to be FASCINATING. Ruth Lande is an advisor to Shimon Peres and was stationed in Cairo as a diplomat for 3 years. Her session was about living in Cairo, the nightclubs, trying to make friends with locals, the challenges she faced being an Israeli in Cairo, and told us that the Egyptian stereotype of Israelis is that they're all spies. Ruth was great to listen to, and her charming South African accent (she grew up there) only added to the intrigue. Top it off with the fact that she is young, blond and was wearing a black leather skirt held the audience captive.

Last tidbit for the day - I finally got to see Deborah Lipstadt, Emory's own UK celeb superstar tell a packed lecture hall about her experience defending a libel suit against a UK holocaust denier. Funny to think that I came all the way to the UK to hear the story of a woman who lives maybe 10 minutes from me in the ATL.

Happy New Year!
--Renee

No comments:

Post a Comment