Saturday, December 27, 2008

I'm in Limmud for a melody... (Noah)

Just got back from the "Acoustic Cafe," which Renee mentioned and which featured prepared and spontaneous musical performances alike. (They use the word "which" here much more than we do, and the grammar rules apply differently to boot...more on that some other time.) It was a great way to top off a phenomenal Shabbat program--one that featured a successful (in my view) demonstration of religious pluralism and myriad opportunities for everyone to get involved in one way or another.

After sleeping off my jet lag (I enjoy flying, but I can't sleep upright), I got a very European breakfast (croissants, yogurt, fruit) and immediately took a nap. After lunch, I made it to my first session: Is Jewish Education Reserved for an Elite of Outstanding People or Accessible to Anyone? The Talmudic text around which (there I go again) this session was structured ultimately agreed with my feeling that Jewish education should be open to everyone, but it took a while to get to the answer. Sure, issues such as class size and differentiated instruction are hot-button today, but apparently in the times of Rabban Gamliel, they even kept guards at the doors to keep out students whose intellect didn't meet certain standards.

Tonight, after Shabbat, I "volunticipated" and sat at one of the registration desks for a couple of hours. I wanted to learn the system they use for 2,000 people, and although the bulk of the participants will come tomorrow, registering tonight's 200 went rather smoothly. And volunteering is a great way to meet people, which (!) enhances the Limmud experience.

It's been emphasized that getting enough sleep enhaces it too, so next stop: Pillowville.

No comments:

Post a Comment